Tuesday 19 June 2018

Why I opted for a SUUNTO SPARTAN TRAINER over the GARMIN FENIX 5



Firstly: lets get the obvious question out of the way...PRICE! There is a Huge difference between the price of the SPARTAN TRAINER and the FENIX 5. Depending on where you are purchacing from, the FENIX 5 is anywhere between £500 and £800 whereas the SPARTAN TRAINER is half that ammount (although if someone was to gift me a FENIX5 I wouldn't say no).Second: the features. Even though the SPARTAN TRAINER is not as feature rich as the FENIX 5, I only used aout 65% of the features of the FENIX (when I had the Fenix 3) which compared to the SPARTAN TRAINER I use more than 70 to 80% of the features. Also of note is that the SPARTAN TRAINER watch can use the optical HR while swimming; accuracy is not 100% but it can do something other trackers can't. With the FENIX I used a HRM swim strap and even though it was very accurate in the readings, I found that the strap would become loose and move down as you swam no matter how tight the fit and for that reason (in my opinion) the SUUNTO was a better choice for me. "But the SUUNTO has no GLONASS" I hear you cry. Big deal! I don't live in the wilderness and GPS signals work just fine were I am thankyou very much plus I don't really go hiking much so I see no need. Anyway, whats wrong with carring a good ol' compass and a map if you do go hiking? I don't know about nowadays but when I was at school, map reading was a required skill. For arguments sake...you do have "breadcrumb" mode if you want to rely on the watch. Lastly: after I had the SPARTAN TRAINER on my wrist for 2 whole weeks (after which I returned it and purchaced my own) I was painfully aware of the weight of the FENIX 3 as I ran: be it on the treadmil or outdoors. With the SUUNTO SPARTAN TRAINER WRIST HR (phew, what a mouthfull) the weight isn't an issue and it is really not noticable while wearing it and its comfy to wear too. Will I miss having the GARMIN FENIX? Well I'll admit that I will miss having the changeable watch faces it offered but other than that...no. Who knows, somewhere down the line (and if I can afford it) I might get the FENIX 5 but untill then I'm perfectly happy with the SUUNTO SPARTAN TRAINER. Still if anyone is willing to gift me a FENIX 5, I'll accept. Anyone?? HELLO...HELLO??

UPDATE!!!

Was just made aware of the XIAOMI AMAZFIT STRATOS 2 watch

Nice looking watch and from what I've read so far, it has changeable watch faces and also is an activity/fitness watch with GPS+GLONASS. Hmmmm: a contender for the Garmin Fenix series of watches perhaps? But wait!!! The price can't be right can it!!! It's less than the SUUNTO watches and waaay less than the GARMIN watches and yet it offers more or less the same features (maybe a few more even). Well I was looking for an additional watch that had features such as this and didn't break the bank and looked decent with a suit so I'm going to go ahead and order it. Will post my opinion on it after I have tested it out so watch this space.

No comments: