Monday 10 July 2017

Tokyo fist review

 
Korean cinema...some films are good. some films are tailored to a specific audience and some films are just plain WTF??!!! For me: this film falls within the latter category along with the directors other films namely "tetsuo" and "the snake of June". To be quite honest, all three films have a certain charm and in a somewhat weird way can be classed as enjoyable (trippy but enjoyable) but for the casual viewer enjoyable up to a point. Upon initial viewing all three films gave me a headache and made me feel dirty for watching them but after watching them (again) in a mindset of a live action anime: then it was somewhat gratifying. This however, was the weakest of the three mentioned films as it lost its way after the first...lets say about fifteen or twenty minutes. Yes it starts out with a strong story with a dedicated director who knows where he wants to go with the plot but then it just looses steam and falls into the wackiness and absurdity of a live action anime (not a very good one either). I'm not saying that anime is bad just the opposite in fact but when one is watching an anime then one does expect things to be surreal and not adhere to the physicality of the real world (if I'm making any kind of sense?). Did I enjoy this? Um...answer is a double edged sword; lets just say that I loved it initially only to hate it as much as I loved it eventually. OK so I am babbling and not making much sense now so just see it and make up your own minds. I'm sure that there is an audience out there for these kind of films.
Hello.....Hello......anyone??

No comments: