Wednesday 22 August 2018

Why I sold my Fenix 5s and went back to Fenix 3



When they were first introduced it was all 'WOW, WEE and WOO' but if you were to ask me for my opinion on  the subject nowadays...I will say that it has become ridiculous and these new range of trackers\activity monitors are actually making us dumber.
OK. Now I've got the obvious off my chest, let me explain a bit. This realisation came to me after I bought the Garmin Fenix 5s. At first I was really excited at having ordered this new technological marvel that is until it arrived. I'm used to having the Fenix 3 on my arm which is a BIG watch whereas when the Fenix 5s arrived it was like my Suunto Spartan trainer had a baby with the Fenix. Yes, in all honesty the Suunto is a good watch but too small for my liking with battery life much shorter than the Fenix: the Fenix 5s should be better right? Or so I thought. Comparing the Fenix 5s to my Fenix 3 was a joke of sorts I mean that with a step up in technology one would think that Garmin would move forwards and not look back. Far be it as they did move one step forwards and two steps back. Firstly the battery life on the 5s was pitiful...ONLY 4 DAYS monitoring my daily activities, GPS and receiving notifications from my phone. Oh yeah, if I used the 5s solely as a watch (no monitoring and no notifications) then maybe I could get about a week or maybe 8 days. On top of that debacle the option of "wifi" was missing from the watch not to mention the range of Bluetooth was shortened and the GPS lock took longer. WHAAATTT??!!! Well maybe it was because I got the 5s which was the cheapest in the Fenix range of watches but as I can't afford to buy the bigger Fenix 5 watches (£600 upwards) I can't really say. Forgot to mention that the Fenix 5s is small much smaller than my old Fenix 3 watch. in fact I'd put it as the same size as my Suunto watch (which is still much better). The new features put in the watch were all fine and dandy for some but for me it was like the watch was treating me like a child and not letting me use my own brain. Why would anyone want to rely on a tool to count reps of an exercise when we're perfectly capable of doing that on our own? I could not believe I had sold my Fenix 3 to buy this sorry excuse of a fitness watch. Yes I had bought a Suunto to bridge the absence while waiting for a fenix 5s. I still do use the Suunto from time to time alongside the Fenix 3 which I managed to find and purchase again at a reasonable price (saving money on what I sold the 5s for I might add). Lastly what is the deal with watches adding an optical heart rate monitor? Not required...all it does is shorten the battery life and it's not very accurate anyway. Whats wrong with using an external heart rate monitor? More accurate and has its own battery on the monitor itself.

No comments: