Monday 15 October 2018

My opinion on Venom movie.


When I first heard about a new “Venom” movie being made I wasn't all that much excited because the fact of how they handled the character in the slightly disappointing “Spider-man 3” movie. Imagine my surprise when I was shown the first picture of “Venom”; I was like “WOW man, looks like they got him right this time”. Unwittingly I judged too soon. Read on to find out why.
Having booked my ticket to go see the film on day one (and planned repeat viewings) I was excited...'here's one of Spideys most infamous villains, someone who gives  as good as he can dish out'. The thought didn't even cross my mind that Hollywood would %@*! this up like so many as before: I mean like they had the “Venom” proportions right this time...BIG, muscular and scary so what could possibly go wrong? As usual, I avoided all trailer and hype surrounding its release and on release day bought a shit load of popcorn and other munchies settled into my deluxe cinema seat, turned my phone off and tried to dismiss the comics from my mind. Anyone who has been to cinema with me knows that I time it just so that I sit in my seat after the previews of other films but this time wasn't so lucky and did catch the end of an animated??? Spider-man film? Oh well, nothing too concerning (I hope). The lights dimmed and was about to be exported to another world...a world of heroes and villains: a big smile was on my face I'll admit. Tom Hardy as “Brock”? Good actor but not what I was expecting. About 2 hours later I walked out a pleasant feeling of what I had just seen mixed with feelings of disappointment. Yes it was entertaining but as a comic book guy I will say that it missed a HUGE chunk of the bigger picture. Firstly, whose idea was it to pair Tom Hardy with Michelle Williams? Two good actors But no chemistry between them one little bit (you could get more chemistry when a rock hits your face). In all honesty, the first (roughly) half of the movie crawls and is quite a challenge to sit through if you're not clued up and firing on all cylinders. The real fun begins after Eddie is introduced to the symbiotic Venom. Second: the main villain is such a cardboard cutout that its a wonder he can even think for himself. C'mon Marvel you've had non-stop hits up until this point. Did you fire your script writers or something? Also enough of this PG-13 malarkey, we can handle it now. It's time for grown up heroes and villains. Venom is meant to be an anti-hero meaning that he gives out punishment as he sees fit kind of like wolverine but not. I can also understand that this film is set in Spider mans universe away from the Marvel universe but that does not justify that you give a sub par villain. Hopefully the next few films will up their game or we might end up getting a film based on “masters of kung fu” (shudder). 'nuff said

No comments: