Tuesday 30 May 2017

Starchaser legend of Orin review

While browsing some old VHS cassettes in a second hand market, I came across this piece of animation history and even though there were other older programs, this really stood out. On initial viewing I thought this was an average animation at best and was expecting it to be extremely cheesy but I was pleasantly surprised. Most if not all sci-fi programs have something or the other similar with each other and as is quite popular nowadays; even rip-offs of more well known films. Well this film IS similar to a most well known movie so much so that even some of the characters sound familiar but what I will disagree with is calling this a rip-off of said film. As you might have noticed I am not pointing any fingers which isn't really a big deal as it is sooo obvious. However, STLOO does have its own story to tell and it is a pretty good one at that. As I mentioned before, I did not go into this expecting a good film but man did I enjoy it. I can't really recall the last time I enjoyed something so much but I will add that I wasn't bored for a moment throughout the entire run time (now I can say where the idea for MATRIX came from). Animation is not anything special...just what you would expect from a mid 80's cartoon. I was a bit surprised at the language though. So if you are deeply rooted into sci-fi lore and movies such as star wars, star trek or anything with the term "star" in it then you owe it to yourself to watch this. I'm guessing that this movie will be hard to find (for most) but it is well worth looking for.

No comments: