Tuesday 31 October 2017

Strangers on a train review

Apart from Alfred Hitchcock's more well known films like "psycho" and "birds", I am not familiar with his other films and on watching this film I was left dumbfounded. Now before we begin let me just say that I do have the patience to watch films with a long (3+ hours) runtime and I can even sit through films that are long drawn and frankly quite boring (I will complain about it after) but this film was unlike any of those that I had viewed before it. To put it quite mildly, the tension in this was so much so that there came a point where I wanted to pull my hair out (what's left of it anyways) but even though I felt like fast forwarding it in some places; never did I feel the need to reach out to grab the control (does that make sense?). The story is a simple one but saying anything about it would be like a spoiler so the less said the better. What I will say is that it is told in such a way that the viewer feels like that he or she is not just witnessing the story but rather a part of the story. That is a sign of good directing and storytelling. Saying anything more will certainly spoil the entire story: you just have to experience it for yourselves. I am now on the lookout for similar films from this director (already my friend who I watched it with recommended me another film) and hopefully another review soon. Would highly recommend this film and for those of you who do decide to see it, don't be surprised if you find yourselves shouting at the screen in frustration.

No comments: